Microbial communities–microbiomes–in our soil, oceans, and bodies have a lot in common. But current microbiome research is not well coordinated among disciplines. The UCI Microbiome Initiative seeks to create cross-discipline collaboration to discover universal principles about microbiomes across all systems.
New! Characterizing Microbiome Diversity Workshop Series
The UCI Microbiome Initiative is pleased to announce two hands-on workshops this Winter quarter. Together, the workshops will cover the basics of sample preparation for sequencing taxonomic markers from environmental or host-associated microbiomes.
Under the Microscope
The UCI Academic Initiative program seeks to unravel some of the world’s most challenging problems through cross-discipline collaboration.
Below are some of the opportunities and challenges for the UCI Microbiome Initiative.
- Researchers can study the microbiomes of healthy and premature babies to work toward providing every baby a healthy microbiome at the start of life.
- Environmental scientists can learn more about healthy soils and oceans to better predict how ecosystems will respond to climate change.
- Scientists at the UCI MIND Institute can unravel the complex links between digestive health and debilitating neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s.
- What role do microbiomes play in human and environmental health?
- Can we promote the development of strong, resilient microbiomes?
- Can we alter microbiomes to benefit us and the environment?